Monday, March 13, 2017

Teresa Layman Garden Cottage Class - Or I love Paperclay!

In October, I took Teresa Layman's class to make Natalie's Garden House.   You can see her amazing work via her website.  I love that it is called Necessary Wonderfulness.  

My favorite structure is the Mad Scientist Lab.  It was also on view at the Chicago Show that I attended.

 Here is my garden house - not quite done yet.  I still need to finish the roof, do the lighting and finish the garden, but I am so happy with it.  And of course decorate the inside. 

Apparently if I spend 7 solid days (not counting many many nights shingling the roof), with a patient and skilled teacher, and experienced classmates, I can create something that looks quite impressive and professional!

And now I have to say that I want to paperclay more structures!  

I think I will paperclay my general store (although my daughter seems to think that is odd), but I think a rustic stone barn works for a general store.  

And I still want to create a two-story witch house in paperclay, although this is also a witch's cottage (this will be her "office").   She will have her potions and spell books here as well as a herb garden.  


The flowers were in my back-up stash -  I haven't even raided my box in storage labeled "garden" yet. 

Here is a close-up of the windows we made (cutting the wood on a scroll saw). They are hinged and open.  To make the window leading, we cut electrical tape very thin which we then turned black with some liquid substance.  


And the doors were pre-made by Teresa - we glued on decorative Olde Mountain Miniatures hinges.



The brick walk is also made from paperclay - a big thank you to Itty Bitty Adventures (my friend)  for helping me with the pattern provided by Teresa.  

And the roof.   The roof took forever.

And I did it in my own unique manner (or incorrectly, as others would say).   I did it for many, many nights during December, which is why I asked for some help from some elfs.


My poor green elf looks equally dumbfounded by the amount of work (or maybe by how to put on those shingles).  

We made the grass with a static grass applicator - the electrical current makes the grass stand up in glue.  And after a few hours, it was hard enough that the grass on the base could travel on the Long Island Rail Road in a bag back to my apartment without getting damaged!



I bought some flower kits to make more flowers for the garden, including a pumpkin kit because my witch will need fresh-grown pumpkins.  (Although before I bought more kits, I made myself make one of my flower kits in my stash.)

Have a great week! 

16 comments:

  1. WOW your cottage looks amazing!!! I cannot wait to see what you do with the inside and the garden. You are fortunate to have had those elves help you with the roof because it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your help! The inside and the garden will be the really fun part!

      Delete
  2. It's amazing!! I definitely need to look at paper clay. And that roof....Holy smokes that's a lot of work, but it turned out spectacular. Congrats on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you will like it. It is quite soothing to keep working on the paper clay and smoothing out your stones, so that they are a bit rounded like real stones. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. It is like seeing a Fairy Tale come true! I LOVE it and the surrounding garden is Utterly Charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like a Fairy tale house - that is what I think as well. I am quite excited to finish the garden.

      Delete
  4. Wow! It's gorgeous... And a little intimidating. Those windows! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I still can't believe I made it sometimes when I look at it.

      Delete
  5. acabo de descubrir tu blog y me quedo por aquí, también te invito al mio, si te apetece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Yes, I would love to follow your blog as well!

      Delete
  6. I just love it! And grass that grows from static? That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Making the grass was cool - I couldn't believe that it worked so well.

      Delete
  7. Hi Penelope, I bet people were curious about what you had in your big bag when you carried the lawn back on the train.
    I think the grass for the lawn looks so realistic.
    Not sure if you saw some of the tutorials on StudioEminiatures.blogspot.ca on creating a garden but it is eye opening. I must tell you she is a good friend too.
    So glad you are having such fun with your project.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially since I had another bag with the roof jutting out!
      Thank you! I must absolutely look at those tutorials. I just started following her a year ago, but I had not seen those. But the tutorials I have seen are amazing - very clear and detailed! Thank you for telling me. And you must have fun together as friends.

      Delete
  8. çalışmalarınız çok başarılı. tebrikler. benim bloğumu ziyarete beklerim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will look for your blog to see it.

      Delete